Market - Parking Structures
Avalon 555 President, Baltimore City, MD
- Geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, and construction observation and testing services during construction of the foundation of the 23-story, 550,000-SF, 380-unit apartment building with ground level retail space, and seven-story parking garage.
- Geotechnical services included design of the drilled pier deep foundation system for the structure. GTA oversaw the installation and performance of over 100 drilled piers ranging from 2.5 to 5-foot diameter, and 50 to 120 feet.
M-NCPPC Wheaton Headquarters, Montgomery County, MD
- Environmental & geotechnical consulting during design, and environmental services during site excavation & construction.
- $170 million, 308,000-SF office building with a 4-story underground parking garage, 1st floor retail, 14-stories of office space, Town Square, and transit connection.
- USGBC LEED Platinum certified.
- A geothermal heating/cooling system was installed beneath the parking garage; this is one of the first such applications in MD.
The Residences at Mid-Town Park, City of Wilmington, DE
- Subsurface exploration, laboratory testing, geotechnical engineering, and COT services.
- Shear wave tests and post construction dewatering recommendations for foundation and pavement design.
- 417,000-SF, 3 levels of underground parking for 511-cars, requiring excavations of about 32 to 44 feet.
- 5-story and a 7-story buildings connected by pedestrian bridge, retail, 198 apartment units, elevated courtyard, and resort-style swimming pool.
6410 Arlington Boulevard, Falls Church, VA
- Geotechnical engineering, retaining wall design, environmental consulting, & COT services for 2 stories of below-grade parking, & 5 stories above-grade w/ apartments, retail, & townhouses.
- Obstacles included adjacent parking garage w/ uncertain foundation conditions, adjacent below grade parking garage which could not receive additional lateral loading, existing fill and loose, wet soil conditions.
- COT for this project fell under the stringent guidelines of Fairfax County’s Special Inspection Program.
Horseshoe Casino, Baltimore City, MD
- Geophysical testing, geotechnical and environmental consulting for new two-story 140,000-SF casino and associated seven-level, 3,500-car, above grade parking garage.
- Relatively deep layer of fills and soft clayey soils required use of deep foundations. Subsurface explorations were in excess of 90 feet, where rock cores were obtained.
- Observed & evaluated several static & dynamic load tests on CFAs to develop installation criteria and allowable loads for CFAs of different diameters.
Lancaster Newspaper Parking Structure, Lancaster, PA
- Provided geotechnical services for the construction of a six-level precast concrete parking structure.
- Designed a permanent shoring system that would also function as a permanent pressure relief wall which included a soldier pile wall with shotcrete lagging and a soil nail wall with shotcrete facing.
- Designed the micropile system to support the proposed garage footings on the underlying limestone bedrock.
Hyatt Place, Baltimore City, MD
- A 150,000-SF, 208-room hotel with ground floor retail space and a parking garage
- Performed Phase I and Phase II Environmental Site Assessments finding elevated concentrations of total arsenic and lead concentrations, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) and hexavalent chromium in soil
- Approved as part of Maryland Voluntary Cleanup Program.
Tranquil Court, Charlotte, NC
- Development included a 4-story 104-unit condominium building and a 5-story, 62,000-sf retail and office building situated above a 1-story parking structure.
- GTA Associates, Inc.’s services included construction observation and testing of structural fills, concrete foundation and slabs, structural steel, masonry, asphalt, and a 6,500-sf soil nail wall.
Liberty Harbor East, Baltimore City, MD
- Geotechnical and environmental consulting for the 23-story, 750,000-SF, mixed-use building with apartments, condominiums, retail, and parking.
- COT services and environmental consulting during construction of building’s foundation.
- Instrumentation and monitoring plan to monitor settlement of a century old brick-lined stormwater tunnel supported on timber piles, located less than 10 feet from the proposed 3- to 6-foot diameter caissons.
Abbey Place Medical Office Building, Charlotte, NC
- GTA Associates, Inc. provided construction observation and testing services for this two-story medical office building with a below grade parking garage.
- Inspection of spread footings, rock quantifications, structural concrete testing, masonry inspection, and asphalt testing.