Market - Retaining Walls
The Residences at Bulle Rock, Harford County, MD
- Geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, and COT services for the 977-acre residential development.
- Services include testing for mass grading, SWM facilities, subsurface utilities, and monitoring lot fill treated with soil cement.
- Inspections of cast-in place concrete, foundations, reinforcing steel as well as structural steel inspections for clubhouse building & water tower.
- Observations for construction of a bottomless arch bridge, and construction of a reinforced soil slope and modular block retaining wall.
- Named HBA of MD, LDC, Project of the Year.
Village South at Waugh Chapel, Anne Arundel County, MD
- Drilling, lab testing, geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, & COT services for the 100-acre, 1.2 million-SF residential, retail, & commercial development, located at the site of a former sand & gravel mine reclaimed with fly ash.
- Site issues encountered included: fly ash fill, loose fly ash, uncontrolled fill, a stump dump, a deep mined hole, a tall retaining wall on uncontrolled fill, an existing deep sewer with poor backfill, and a proposed deep sewer close to a building.
Principio Business Park & Warehouses, Cecil County, MD
- GTA provided geotechnical engineering and natural resource planning services in conjunction with the comprehensive master land use plan for large warehouse/distribution (up to 1,500,000 SF in size) and office uses at the 1,000-acre property with rail access and close proximity to I-95.
- Also provided geotechnical explorations and recommendations, natural resources planning, environmental consulting, & COT services for several parcels at the business park.
Creekside Village, Anne Arundel County, MD
- Geotechnical engineering, environmental consulting, COT services for the 161-acre community with 820 single-family homes and townhome lots, 208 apartment units within six buildings, two clubhouses, & two swimming pools.
- Named “Community of the Year,” by MBIA Land Development Council.
- Received the “Excellence in Construction Award, New Project Over $10 Million,” from Baltimore Metro Chapter of the Associated Builders and Contractors, Inc.
Charter School Revetment Wall, Bronx, NY
- An exposed rock outcrop was located 3-5’ from the rear of the existing school. Water had infiltrated the joints in the bedrock and subsequent freeze-thaw cycles had caused the joints to open. The orientation of the joints in the bedrock had created a toppling hazard. GTA-NY evaluated the rock conditions and developed plans for a reinforced concrete revetment wall. GTA-NY then oversaw the hand excavation of the bedrock and construction of the concrete revetment wall.
Cardinal Grove Retaining Wall, Prince William County, VA
- GTA conducted a geotechnical study, caisson and retaining wall design, and COT services for the 158 SFH development. Evaluated site suitability for development and global stability analysis for several retaining walls and slopes up to 19’ high. Due to close vicinity of the property line to the retaining walls, it was determined that soil nail walls with Segmental block facing would be the best fit. Due to the height and complexity, one of the retaining walls was deemed Special Inspections by the County.
Ballard Green, Baltimore County, MD
- The development plan for the 105-acre, 521-home mixed-use community called for depths of fill up to 12-18 feet over portions of existing gas pipelines.
- The gas company required detailed evaluation to ensure that the fill loads would not impact the pipelines.
- DMT soundings were used to estimate the soil stiffness and resulting settlement beneath each pipeline.
- GTA was able to more accurately estimate soil settlements resulting in a less conservative analysis.
Retaining Wall at Box Hill, Harford County, MD
- Designed a 40,300-sf modular block retaining wall with final dimensions of over 1,340 feet long with a maximum exposed height of over 40 feet.
- Design included both internal and global stability analyses to assess the long-term stability of the fill and underlying Potomac Clay deposit.
- Drainage pipes at the base of the wall and behind the reinforced fill are interconnected and drain beneath the wall directly into the public storm drain system.
- Provided COT services.
Full-Depth Road Reclamation Design, OH, PA, & WV
- Provided design for reconstruction of over 750 miles of paved state, county, & municipal owned public roadways in Ohio, Pennsylvania, & West Virginia that were damaged by Marcellus/Utica Shale related drilling traffic.
- Performed initial evaluations of pavement condition and distress, plus test pit explorations to evaluate the pavement section and subgrade conditions.
- Designed specialty slope & wall stability systems to support areas of slope instability affecting public roads.
Tranquil Court, Charlotte, NC
- Development included a 4-story 104-unit condominium building and a 5-story, 62,000-sf retail and office building situated above a 1-story parking structure.
- GTA Associates, Inc.’s services included construction observation and testing of structural fills, concrete foundation and slabs, structural steel, masonry, asphalt, and a 6,500-sf soil nail wall.