Market - Schools
Chemours Discovery Hub, Newark, DE
- New three-story, 325,000-SF research facility.
- The project is a redevelopment of a portion of the former Chrysler manufacturing facility, now part of the University of Delaware’s Science Technology and Advanced Research (STAR) Campus.
- GTA provided environmental, geotechnical, construction observation and testing services.
Laurel Elementary School, Sussex County, DE
- 2019 ENR MidAtlantic Best Projects winner in the K-12 Education category.
- New $35.4M, 151,958-SF elementary school which accommodates 1,200-students.
- Geotechnical services, CPT soundings, SPT borings, infiltrometer testing, laboratory analysis.
- Construction testing for site grading, subgrade soils and utility construction; bituminous concrete pavement; laboratory testing; and structural steel.
University of Delaware, Campus Utility Plant Supply Well, Newark, DE
- Performed exploratory drilling to evaluate the potential for locating a new UDCUP water supply well.
- Performed a 48-hour pumping test on the existing UDCUP well to evaluate the potential for increasing the permitted well withdrawal rates.
- GTA coordinated efforts with the City of Newark Director of Public Works and DNREC.
- GTA prepared a Water Allocation Permit Modification for increased withdrawal based on the results of our evaluation.
Charter School Revetment Wall, Bronx, NY
- An exposed rock outcrop was located 3-5’ from the rear of the existing school. Water had infiltrated the joints in the bedrock and subsequent freeze-thaw cycles had caused the joints to open. The orientation of the joints in the bedrock had created a toppling hazard. GTA-NY evaluated the rock conditions and developed plans for a reinforced concrete revetment wall. GTA-NY then oversaw the hand excavation of the bedrock and construction of the concrete revetment wall.
Woodbridge High School, Sussex County, DE
- A new high school building and campus including a partial two-story school building with an approximate 150,000-SF footprint with a gymnasium, several outbuildings, drive lanes, parking areas, & SWM.
- Geotechnical services included recommendations for foundation, slab & pavement support; grading; groundwater control, & utility construction.
- Construction testing for soil, concrete, structural steel, masonry, and hot mix asphalt construction.